Sunday, February 10, 2013

February Madness

Well, it's official. My level of boredom has reached a whole new level, and as a result, completely exhausted at 9 on a Saturday night, I've created my own blog to rant about whatever I want to. I've decided on sports and pop culture for my main topics, as my tweets about these two subjects seem to generate the most retweets and favorites. Whether you continue reading or not, I could in all honesty not care less. But if enough people seem to respond to my rambling in a positive light maybe I'll turn this into a regular thing (As a fair warning, I've decided to talk about college basketball in this first blog. Not sure if my writing will make you laugh and be a mild success or make you cringe and be a complete failure, but yet again I really don't care, because I was REALLY bored when I came up with this idea). With all that being said, let's get on to the good stuff!

Let's face it. Trying to understand this college basketball season is like trying to understand Chief Keef's dialect of English: It simply can't be done. After watching ranked team after ranked team lose and hearing all the so called "experts" continue to be wrong with their predictions, I've decided to use my blog to throw my hat in the ring and start discussion my own opinions and predictions about the sports and pop culture world. College basketball seems like an appropriate place to start, as in the last week, four of the top 5 ranked teams have lost:


  • Number five Kansas went out and lost twice to two teams in TCU and Oklahoma that would struggle with your best YMCA teams. 
  • Thanks to Indiana's preseason POY Cody Zeller deciding to guard Manti Te'o's girlfriend instead of Tyler Griffey in the last second up in Champaign, six number one ranked teams have now been beaten.
  • The School Up North escaped on Tuesday with a questionable no call in overtime against Ohio State, but Sam Decker made sure that Buckeye Nation wouldn't be devastated for too long, and ensured himself some fun for the next few weekends on the Wisconsin campus.
  • Even the hottest team in the country entering this week, the Florida Gators, managed to stumble in Fayetteville on Tuesday against an Arkansas team that played out of their minds.

This level of parity in the college basketball world is unlike anything I've seen in my brief lifetime. There's a better chance of a decent Nicholas Cage movie being released than someone filling out a perfect bracket come March. Week after week, a new team has been chosen to join the ranks of the elite, but week after week, each time chosen seems to respectfully decline. Who should be given the opportunity this week? How about the Gonzaga Bulldogs.

Playing in the West Coast Conference (quick name the other members of the WCC), Gonzaga doesn't get a lot of media attention. In fact the only game most people have seen Gonzaga play was when they lost against Butler on Roosevelt Jones' buzzer beater in Hinkle Fieldhouse. Even without Rotnei Clarke, the star of this year's Butler squad, the Bulldog magic- which is about the closest thing to real magic you're going to find in this Muggle dominated world- and the crowed fueled by the College Gameday appearance left Gonzaga a very minimal chance of winning. Mark Few's squad has quietly compiled a 23-2 record up in Spokane, and their only other loss was to Illinois, when the Illini were in a stretch where every three pointer they shot seemed to go in. A dominant frontcourt lead by Elias Harris and Kelly Olynyk, solid guard play from David Stockton and Kevin Pangos,  and a very deep roster with players like Gary Bell Jr. and Sam Dower making key contributions every game. The Bulldogs have already beaten half of the Big 12 (but that's only five teams for those of you who aren't familiar with the recent conference realignment) and have not stumbled in WCC play. This week's AP poll will likely have Gonzaga in the top 5 with a legitimate claim to being ranked in the top 3. Why would being ranked this high be a bad thing for Gonzaga? Well, we all know by now that going on the road as a top 3 team and winning is more unlikely than finding an efficient Chipotle staffed by only white people. This week Gonzaga has to go on the road and face rival Saint Mary's- probably the only other WCC team many of you could name- and the only team who has been able to compete with Gonzaga in years past. So, if many of the pollsters agree with me and annoint the Bulldogs a top 3 ranking, we may be back here having the same discussion next week. However, if they can stop the trend and prove their ranking as legit, this team may be on their way to a number one seed come March.

J. Nave

Fun Fact of the Week: Since I was partially inspired by  Mark Titus, whose Club Trillion blog is a better established, more hilarious, and widely loved version of this style of writing, when I created this, I thought I should share his nickname for Gonzaga: The Foreigners. A highly appropriate name, as Mark Few has brought five international players to Spokane this year. Why a bunch of people around the world would want to spend four years in the wonderful metropolis of Spokane, Washington is beyond me, but I'll give Few credit. His formula is working.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment