Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Left in the Cold: The Columbus Blue Jackets' Quest for Success and Respect

Why do we like what we like? It's a question you probably don't ponder very often, but after thinking about that idea in context to the subject matter of this post, I jumped into a rabbit hole. There were existential Google searches at the start. I then read a few articles on NPR. I watched a couple TED talks to top it off. A lot of the discussion made very little sense to me, and I left a little disappointed with the seemingly unsolvable and vexing nature of the mystery (Basically, the theories all tie back to the idea that humans possess an innate set of pleasures we all seek that have been derived through evolution, but on an individual basis, there is little understanding). What caused me to travel along this path of contemplation? A quest to understand why I was so captivated by the Columbus Blue Jackets as a five year old kid.

I don't think it's any secret that I am a pretty big sports fan. Forty five posts about sports on a blog I'm not compensated for and countless hours of my life spent watching games are just two examples on a list of thousands. What does confuse me, though, is the idea that a kindergartner with absolutely no experience or exposure to a sport would latch on so tightly to a team. Within weeks of their inaugural season, I had nearly the entire roster memorized. Now in a world without rabid internet use and my aforementioned age, this might appear blasphemous, but a testimony from my teacher that year or my parents would prove this as the truth. I scoured the newspaper for recaps, stats, and any news about the team. I watched every game on television where I could stay awake. For the next several seasons, I would follow the team with the same sort of religious zeal. I took a year of skating lessons with the goal of playing hockey. I would make the short trip to downtown and Nationwide Arena a couple times each year and be amazed at the pace of the game, the crushing hits along the boards, jaw-dropping goals like this one, and root for celebratory chili like it would be my first meal in weeks.

Following the Blue Jackets for three quarters of my life has been the cause of a lot of disappointment. I've watched Marc Denis, Ron Tugnutt, Espen Knutsen, Tyler Wright, Geoff Sanderson, Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, Rusty Klesla, Nikolai Zherdev, Manny Malhotra, Lyle Odelein, Ray Whitney, David Vyborny, and so many other players struggle to produce a winning season. I saw the city view Rick Nash as a savior, worship him like a hero, and cast him off as a villain within the span of a decade. I grew intrigued by veteran acquisition after veteran acquisition only to have each player hit a roadbump in Columbus, and more times than not, return to a tremendous level of play in a different city. I celebrated the Jackets' trip to the playoffs back in 2009 like they had won the Stanley Cup, only to have the hated Detroit Red Wings sweep the series. The dejection seemed to only find new and improved ways to crush my fandom.

The million dollar question remains whether Columbus can actually rally behind the Jackets in this manner. I would answer with an emphatic yes. Historical evidence is there to justify my answer. Back in April 2014, everyone in the Buckeye State talked, tweeted, and supported the team like never before. The Fifth Line was born. Thanks to the underdog Jackets' stealing two wins against the Penguins, the NHL, and a substantial portion of Ohio residents, began to notice the state's long established afterthought might warrant some attention after all. Furthermore, when events like the Women's World Cup are played, viewership in Columbus outranks nearly every other city in the country. Ohioans aren't afraid to embrace new things. They're not afraid of change either, as the residents of the crucial, political swing state often help initiate the trek down a new path in Washington. The proof seems to be in the pudding: Columbus, like so many other places, will eagerly accept and support a resurgent and victorious team.

Next Friday, I will be fortunate enough to be home in Ohio for the season opener. I'll wake up to The Whip, a song by Locksley played following a goal for the good guys- not a popular dance move. I'll don my jersey, make a short round trip to the Tim Horton's drive thru for breakfast, and crack open the Dispatch to see what Aaron Portzline has to say. I might even journey down to the Arena District and scalp a ticket to boo Rick Nash with the rest of the Columbus faithful. Part of this will be to pay homage to that five year old kid and not let him down. But a larger part will be because of a renewed belief in what this team seems ready to accomplish. If you've been a loyal Jacket Backer, get ready to fire the cannon once again.  If you've never paid much attention to the Jackets, purchase a ticket to a game or two. That will keep a Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Detroit fan out of the arena, if nothing else. But I think watching one of the NHL's most intriguing teams will be worth the price of admission.

The night is darkest just before the dawn, and the sun is getting ready to rise in Columbus.

J. Nave


PS; After my last post, this blog has somehow surpassed 5,000 pageviews. After starting out of senioritis in high school, I would've never thought I'd still be writing as a junior in college. Truly, thank you for reading this, whether it's your first time, or you're 45th time on this site. Since this offers a more productive(?) outlet than watching The Office for a fourth time, I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I promise you'll never see "17 GIFs That Describe What Twenty-Somethings Need to Stop Doing With Their Lives " on here, and I hope you'll stay along for the ride.







No comments:

Post a Comment