Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Quest for 35-0 (Part Three of Three)

Well, 35-0 seemed like a great goal a couple weeks ago. Now, I think I'll gladly settle with a couple games over .500. I've never personally liked picking bowl game (nor ever been that good at it) because there are so many variables. What team is going to show up motivated? What team just wants the bowl's goody bags? What team lost their head coach? What team suffered a last minute injury? Add in way too much time to analyze every game, and all of a sudden you understand why I'm not good at picking them. However, with the calender turning to 2014, maybe I'll have some new luck with my final round of bowl picks? Also, to additionally change my karma, I've decided to abandon the haikus. To replace them, I'll simply give a one sentence explanation for how each remaining bowl game will unfold. Happy New Year to all my readers, and let's start out 2014 undefeated!

24) Gator Bowl--- Georgia over Nebraska: Georgia's backup quarterback hands the ball off to Todd Gurley and makes fewer mistakes than Nebraska's backup quarterback.

25) Heart of Dallas Bowl--- North Texas over UNLV: I flipped a coin and got heads, so I'm picking the Mean Green.

26) Outback Bowl--- LSU over Iowa: SEC speed and Les Miles' trick plays lead to a close victory for the Tigers.

27) Capital One Bowl--- South Carolina over Wisconsin: I'm not picking against my own school, I hate Wisconsin, and Connor Shaw's bound to play well in his final game.

28) Rose Bowl--- Stanford over Michigan State: Was going to pick Sparty, but with the loss of the heat and soul of the defense (Max Bullough), I'm going with the Cardinal.

29) Fiesta Bowl--- Baylor over UCF: Bryce Petty and Blake Bortles are both great quarterbacks, but Baylor's offense wins the shootout.

30) Sugar Bowl--- Alabama over Oklahoma: I will not pick against Nick Saban, I will not pick against Nick Saban, I will not pick against Nick Saban.

31) Cotton Bowl--- Missouri over Oklahoma State: Missouri's offense shows the Cowboys why they got the invitation to join the SEC.

32) Orange Bowl---Ohio State over Clemson: (SPOILER ALERT: Breaking my one sentence rule here) In the game I had the most difficulty picking, I opted to pick the Buckeyes. Clemson's receivers SHOULD have a field day against the pathetic Ohio State secondary, but it is Clemson after all. Dabo makes some dumb decisions that let Ohio State escape with a win. Plus, I don't think Clemson can stop Braxton Miller, Carlos Hyde, and the Buckeye offense.

33) BBVA Compass Bowl--- Vanderbilt over Houston: Commodores use compasses, therefore they got the nod over the Cougars, who are completely unaware of what a compass is.

34) GoDaddy.com Bowl--- Ball State over Arkansas State: Parks and Recreation mentions Muncie, Indiana from time to time, so the team from that city is who I'm going with.

35) National Championship Game--- Auburn over Florida State: (Breaking my one sentence rule again) Magic? Destiny? Vodoo? I don't know how you want to explain what happened with the Auburn football team this year, but it's been one helluva ride for the Tigers. A miracle happened and then another miracle happened in the month of November for them, and then in the SEC championship, they won a game that should resemble the title game against a good Missouri team. Meanwhile, the Seminoles have steamrolled their way through heavy opponent behind the unbelievable play of Jameis Winston. So what happens this Monday? Auburn wins. How? They block a Florida State extra point in a game tied 38-38, and return it for a two points with three seconds on the clock to win 40-38. The Auburn magic continues, and the national title stays in the state of Alabama.

J. Nave

Bowl Record: 14-9 (through all bowl games played 12/31 and earlier)

No comments:

Post a Comment